Do’s and Don’ts for the Use of Dura-Stilts
A practical set of safety guidelines published for Dura-Stilts® users to observe and follow, became the cornerstone reference for stilt safety programs throughout the industry.
- DO… Inspect stilts thoroughly before use, making sure that the structure is free of any sign of damage, that there is no excessive wear at the connection points, and that all bolts are tight. Special attention should be given to the entire strut tube assemblies and wingbolts in this respect.
- DO… Replace any damaged excessively worn stilt components before use.
- DO… Assure the safety and quality of Dura Stilts® by using only Genuine Dura-Stilts® components.
- DO… Fasten the upper leg strap first when putting on the stilts.
- DO… Remove anything from the soles which could cause loss of traction.
- DO… Keep all straps tightly fastened and secured.
- DO… Remove stilts to adjust them unless assisted by another person.
- DO… Take short and distinct steps, making sure that the stilts are raised well clear of floor with each step. (Your stride maybe lengthened as you become more confident.)
- DO…Walk forward only, making a U turn to reverse your direction.
- DO… Keep stilts adjusted properly.
- DO… Always look where you’re stepping.
- DO… Walk only on suitable hard surface and level terrain.
- DO… Cover or guard floor openings, stairwells, etc.
- DO… Remove stilts when climbing or descending stairs.
- DO… Receive assistance when retrieving objects from the floor.
- DO… Be cautious when working around low profile furniture and fixtures, pipes, protrusions, etc.
- DO… Disconnect upper leg straps last when removing stilts.